Error 50842 and McAfee Software - Trouble Installing Gold Edition
Solution: Microsoft has created a Fix it for this. What this Fix-it does is to remove incorrect or corrupt registry entries that interfere with VB support in Windows and then re-registers the DLL ensuring that the correct registry settings are there. After running the Fix-it solution you may be able to immediately try the installation, but to be sure, a reboot is suggested. This type of problem is typically caused by a partial McAfee installation - and you may not even realize it happened!
Also, try this,
1) Search Google.com for "McAffe Consumer Product Removal Tool" or "MCPR.exe".
2) Run MCPR.exe ( http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe )
3) Search google for "Microsoft Fix it 50842" or "MicrosoftFixit50842.msi".
4) Run "MicrosoftFixit50842.msi" ( http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9804433 )
5) Reboot and cross your fingers.
The person asking this wrote and told us:
I did not think that I had ever had any Mcaffe products on my system but tried it anyway. The tool found and deleted several tools. After that the Gold Edition 5.5 installed and runs. As a bonus, a lot of programs and other things started running way way faster. Other notes on the McAffe problem say that it can happen as a side effect of an incomplete McAffe uninstall.
Free updates are no longer available for any version other than version 7.
Please visit Thayer Birding Software to order version 7.
Sign up for the Thayer Birding Software eNewsletter to be notified of new features, free updates and special seasonal discounts.